Kinds of hosting services
A hosting solution implies stockpiling and/or sharing specific content on a web hosting server hosted by a website hosting provider. There are different categories of hosting services utilized for various ends, so let's have a peek at these. In this way, you can determine what you want, based on whether you desire to have a blog, email box accounts, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service delivered by certain providers, which permits you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single function is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a table of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage solutions frequently include advertisements next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a given interval of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file storage account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly inaccurate interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allocate the tasks at hand between individual bunches of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different web site hosting services (mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is just a type of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given providers offer a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting type is good if you desire to share a great number of pics with mates or partners since the solution is commonly free. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to handling your email accounts. Some firms offer site hosting services for websites, but do not provide an email hosting service. If you desire to run an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to run a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can create e-mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file generates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of videos and several hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your web site hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will permit you to administer as many video files as you desire without worrying about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you wish to have a website. To some degree, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and e-mail addresses, upload video files, etc. At Lonex, for example, you can view web hosting and dedicated server hosting solutions that enable you to have all of the aforesaid services in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the type of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the normal email/file/video/image hosting plans that are designed for particular content exclusively.